This post may contain affiliate links to products. A commission may be received for purchases made through these links. However, all opinions remain my own. For more information, please visit my disclosure policy.
My Chicken Vegetable Soup will keep you warm on chilly winter evenings and make use of summer vegetables in the summertime. It’s the perfect year-round soup, delicious and easy to make!
The weather has been a little crazy this past month here in the Carolina Triangle. It’s been up and down, warm and cold. I have to double-check the weather report each day just so I know what type of clothing I need to wear. It’s a little annoying but what can I say, that’s part of living in North Carolina. There’s a popular saying here, “If you don’t like the weather in North Carolina then wait a few days.”
It has certainly been proven right the past few weeks but I think the cold weather is going to be sticking around for a bit now, at least I hope so! I’m not a fan of the up and down weather. I like it to get cold and stay cold. Of course, our cold weather is a lot milder than many other states so I find the winter weather quite nice here.
Since it is the cold weather season I know many people find themselves searching for delicious soup recipes. I actually enjoy soup year-round especially in the summer when I can get many of the veggies fresh from the farmer’s market but nothing is more comforting on a cool winter’s day than a steaming bowl of hot soup. Today’s recipe, Chicken Vegetable Soup is perfect any day of the year. It makes use of seasonal vegetables in the summer and gives you that extra warmth and vitamins in the winter.
This recipe actually started out as a vegetable soup but a couple of years ago when I was fighting a horrible cold I wanted some extra substance and protein in my soup. The chicken was just a natural addition since I’ve always used chicken stock in this soup. I’ve even turned this recipe into a hearty chicken noodle soup when I’ve been in the mood. I added the other two variations in the notes so today you’re actually getting three recipes in one!
I love this soup for many reasons. The majority of the ingredients are everyday staples in my home. The only “special buy” is the fresh corn and there have been times where I’ve substituted with a can of strained corn when I’ve been in a pinch. It does the trick but fresh really is best.
It is very easy to make. Even when I’ve been horribly sick in the past I’ve found the energy to throw a pot of this soup together. Best of all is that this Chicken Vegetable Soup is absolutely delicious! No matter what version of this I make, even the meatless one, my hubby loves it as much as I do. I hope you love it as much as we do, too!
If you know of anyone who would love this soup, please share this post with all your friends and family. Just click on the social media icons below! Have a wonderful weekend and enjoy!
Chicken Vegetable Soup
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large chicken breast or 2 small ones
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 1 large onion peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 5 cups chicken stock hot
- 2 cups tomatoes chopped
- 2 ears corn cut from the cob
- 1 cup potatoes peeled and diced
- salt and pepper
- In a soup pot, melt the butter into the olive oil.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Sear the chicken breast on each side and remove to a separate dish.
- Add the carrots, celery, and onion. Season the veggies with salt and pepper and let cook until softened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and corn and let cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and hot stock. Return the chicken breast to the pot and bring the soup to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and let simmer for 40-45 minutes. Remove chicken breast and shred. Return to pot and season soup with salt and pepper and serve.