This post may contain affiliate links to products. A commission may be received for purchases made through these links. However, all opinions remain my own. For more information, please visit my disclosure policy.
This Rich and Creamy Homemade Hot Chocolate is the perfect winter treat. Completely made from scratch with real chocolate and it takes very little time to make!
Is there anything better than hot chocolate on a cold winter’s day? Add some falling snow and that is winter perfection! In fact, a steamy mug of hot chocolate is pretty much a requirement in our house on a snowy day. Thankfully for our waistlines, it doesn’t snow all that often here in the Carolina Triangle.
Since the winter season “officially” began this past weekend and Christmas is only two days away, I thought it would be the perfect time to share with you a recipe for Rich and Creamy Homemade Hot Chocolate!
I remember when I was a kid I would get so excited at the sight of a packet of hot chocolate mix. We’d make it special by substituting warmed milk for the hot water. However, as I’ve gotten older my tastebuds have gotten more discerning especially when it comes to chocolate.
I’ve been searching for the perfect homemade hot chocolate recipe for a while now and ironically I found it on the Explore Asheville website! The recipe is from the French Broad Chocolate Lounge in the beautiful Carolina city of Asheville. I love it when I find delicious recipes from my home state of North Carolina. It makes the recipe a little more special.
Making this hot chocolate is actually a two-part process that starts off with making a rich chocolate ganache. It’s not difficult at all, it’s actually very easy. I know it sounds intimidating but don’t let it scare you away. The best part about this recipe is that it only requires three ingredients! You just need bittersweet chocolate, heavy cream, whole milk and you’re good to go!
This Rich and Creamy Homemade Hot Chocolate will be the perfect treat tomorrow night as you wait for Santa’s arrival! I wish you and your family a Very Merry Christmas!
If you know of anyone who would love this hot chocolate, please share this post with all your friends and family. Just click on the social media icons below!
French Broad Hot Chocolate
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate 65% cacao mass chopped
- 4 oz heavy cream original recipe calls for organic
- 8 oz ganache 1 recipe
- 24 oz whole milk original recipe calls for organic
- Bring cream to boil in a small saucepan over medium/high heat.
- As soon as the cream reaches a boil, pour the cream over the chopped chocolate.
- Let sit for 1 minute, covered.
- Whisk gently to combine the chocolate and cream.
- As the mixture emulsifies, it will start to take on the appearance of thick pudding.
- Once all the chocolate is incorporated, the ganache is ready.
- Combine milk and ganache in a large saucepan over medium/low heat.
- Stir constantly with a whisk, until the mixture starts to simmer, not a rapid boil.
- Serve immediately.