This post may contain affiliate links to products. A commission may be received for purchases made through these links. However, all opinions remain my own. For more information, please visit my disclosure policy.
Copycat Rocky Top Chicken is my version of the retired Longhorn Steakhouse barbecue chicken loaded with toppings including bacon and cheese.
Do you remember the Chicken Milanese recipe I shared with you this past September? I mentioned how I would make my own versions of restaurant dishes that I liked when Derek and I moved into our first apartment. Today I’m sharing with you another one of those recipes. This dish is taken from the restaurant that Derek and I were working at when we met and first started dating, Longhorn Steakhouse. Although this was a popular dish for them back in the day, they have surprisingly removed it from the menu, it is still a favorite for us and I hope that it will be for you, as well.
I don’t make Rocky Top Chicken that often since it’s topped with bacon and cheese. It is one of those recipes that is great to make when you have just a couple of strips of bacon hanging around that you need to use up. You know, not enough to make a meal out of the bacon but definitely enough to enhance a dish.
I also like to make this dish when I feel like I need to mix things up with the weekly menu at home. Chicken can get boring and although barbecue chicken tends to be my fallback sometimes it needs a little more to perk up an evening meal. That’s basically what Rocky Top Chicken is, barbecue chicken with some extra toppings. Bacon, cheese, tomatoes, and green onions really make barbecue chicken a little extra special.
The best part is that this is a super simple and basic recipe and great for a quick weeknight meal. This is also a great recipe for entertaining, it’s quick and easy so you’re not in the kitchen the whole time and yet still gives a wow factor for your guests. You can also do some of the prep ahead of time so the meal comes together even faster! I hope you enjoy this Rocky Top Chicken as much as we do!
If you know of anyone who would love this chicken, please share this post with all your friends and family. Just click on the social media icons below! Have a wonderful weekend and enjoy!
Rocky Top Chicken
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 bacon slices cut in half and crisped
- Swiss Cheese Slices 2 large or 4-6 small
- ½ cup Cheddar Cheese shredded
- ¼ cup tomatoes diced
- 2 green onions chopped
- ⅓ cup barbecue sauce
- salt and pepper
- Salt and pepper the chicken breasts on both sides.
- Add some olive oil to the pan and cook the chicken breasts for five minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- Remove the pan from the heat and baste both sides of the chicken with barbecue sauce. Add the bacon strips to each breast and top off with a slice each of Swiss cheese and shredded cheddar. Place the pan in a 350-degree oven for about 5 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted.
- Remove the chicken from the oven, plate the chicken, and top each chicken breast off with the diced tomatoes and sliced green onion.