Welcome to Emily Lenora! I’m Emily and I hope to inspire you to seek out the Joy of Life or Joi de Vivre as the French say!
I live in Durham, NC with my wonderful husband, Derek and our two kitties, Luna and Potter.
Travel has been a passion of mine since I was a kid. I love it so much that I spent nearly a decade of my life as a Travel Agent. Although I’m no longer designing fantastic travel adventures for my clients, it’s hard to completely get the travel business out of my system. I have a wealth of knowledge to share with you and I hope it will help you with your future travels like it helped my past clients.
I’m originally from South Florida but North Carolina has always held a piece of my heart and soul. Derek and I love to experience everything our adopted home state has to offer. Whether it’s hiking in the mountains, enjoying the sandy beaches, or going to a Bulls game in our hometown, we love living the Carolina life!
Derek and I have been married since April 10, 2004. I’m so blessed to call this man my husband. Life is not always kind but no matter what it throws at us, he can always find a way to bring a smile to my face and laughter to my heart. Derek has been a restaurant manager for almost as long as we’ve been married. He’s so incredibly talented and hardworking and a valued asset wherever he’s positioned.
Well, me, it really is my middle name but it is also my mother and grandmother’s first names. Two women that always inspire me, especially when I’m in the kitchen creating new dishes!
I was named after the first Lenora, though, and many times I think my parents knew what they were doing when they did so. I definitely inherited many of her traits including my love of travel and passion for animal rescue. She was an incredible cook and no one could throw down a southern breakfast like my grandma. Those Kentucky roots run deep and it was often displayed in her cooking. To this day I can’t smell bacon without thinking of her. Her house always seemed to smell of it!
She passed away in 2013 and there isn’t a day that goes by when I don’t think of her. I always feel closest to her when I’m in the kitchen cooking and baking, chocolate chip cookies in particular. My favorite childhood memory is baking chocolate chip cookies with her during summer breaks. I hope in a way her legacy will live on through me and in the delicious recipes I share with you on this blog.
A Few More Things to Know About Me:
- I’m a child of God and my Christian faith is very important to me. Not a Christian? No worries, I’m very respectful of other people’s faiths. I just ask for the same in return. I may mention a few things regarding my Christianity but this isn’t a faith-based blog.
- I’m a bit of a Francophile. I love France, Paris in particular. I’m always on the lookout for French things to add to my home, life, and tummy. Really great French pastries are a weakness of mine!
- I work out a lot, like 6 – 7 days a week. There are days when I love it and days when I hate it but consistency is key. It helps balance out my love of chocolate and potatoes!
- I love to read, Brit Lit and Murder Mysteries in particular. Jane Austen, Agatha Christie, and Charlotte Bronte are some of my favorite authors. JK Rowling is my favorite modern author. I’ve read and reread the entire Harry Potter series quite a few times but her Cormoran Strike series is what I crave nowadays!
- I majored in musical theater in college. It’s not a big part of my life right now but music, in general, will always have a piece of me.
Want to know more?
Then check out some of my posts and you can always Contact Me!