This post may contain affiliate links to products. A commission may be received for purchases made through these links. However, all opinions remain my own. For more information, please visit my disclosure policy.
Southwestern Chicken Salad is a perfect summertime meal filled with southwestern flavors including a smoky and spicy Chipotle dressing!
We are in the dog days of summer and I’m so ready for some cooler weather!
I love this Southwestern Chicken Salad for days when the same old salad won’t do. I don’t eat a lot of spicy food but I do enjoy it every now and then. Chipotle peppers are great because they’re not too spicy and I like the hint of smokiness that they add to the flavor of this dressing.
A little note about chipotle peppers. First of all, if you’re not big on spicy food I would use only one or two peppers and I would add them one at a time so you can taste after each addition so you know what works for you.
Secondly, you’re going to have more than half a can left of peppers. To save them for another time I use an empty ice cube tray. Put a pepper in each cube space and place them in the freezer. Once the peppers are frozen you can transfer them to a freezer bag for better storage.
It is best to make the salad dressing ahead of time so it can chill. I actually recommend making it the night before so then all you have to do is make the salad when you’re ready.
This is a super easy recipe and it is perfect for a hot summer day when you don’t feel like spending too much time in the kitchen! I hope you enjoy this Southwestern Chicken Salad as much as we do!
If you know of anyone who would love this salad, please share this post with all your friends and family. Just click on the social media icons below! Have a wonderful weekend and enjoy!
Southwestern Chicken Salad
- 1 chipotle in adobo
- ½ cup mayo
- ¼ cup milk
- 6 cups romaine lettuce chopped
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn drained and rinsed
- ½ cup cucumber peeled and diced
- ½ cup tomatoes diced
- ½ cup red onion chopped
- 1 avocado peeled and diced
- ½ cup Monterey jack or cheddar cheese
- 1 lb grilled chicken chopped
- 1 cup tortilla strips
- Add to a blender the mayo, milk, and chipotle peppers and blend until well combined. Pour the dressing into a bowl, cover, and let it chill. You can use a different type of container if you wish. I chose to use a mason jar that I had on hand. Chill the dressing for 4 – 6 hours or overnight.
Southwestern Chicken Salad
- Add the chopped romaine lettuce to a large bowl. Top it off with the cucumbers, tomatoes, red onions, black beans, and corn.
- Next, you want to add the desired amount of chipotle ranch dressing to the bowl and toss. You will have plenty of dressing left to use at a later time.
- Distribute the salad mix evenly among four plates.
- Top the salad with the avocado, chicken, and cheese. I like to add some tortilla strips to the top of the salad for a nice crunch!
Leave a Reply